Tuesday, December 11, 2012

My German Best Friend

So far along, I have never felt so loved and so much warmth. Until so much so today. Here's why:

When I joined the University, I was completely lost. Thats the least degree I can explain. While I was helped so much by Asja and Christoph, it was only limited to an academic level that they could manage. Asja went out of her way to help me as much as she could, with appointments, translations and what not. But guess I still couldn't figure out some stuff.

So then came the GBF (German Best Friend). My tutor told me she would assign someone to help me with my studies here. Well, I wasnt sure it would happen. I was pleasantly surprised to get a nice email reply filled with welcoming wishes and lot of help. W and I spoke through emails for the longest time. I asked her about everything and she patiently replied to everything, in the perfect way. Always. I found myself whining, asking, complaining and talking about anything and everything. Such  a relief it was.

Then we finally met. She helped me figure so many things from stationery, printing at the University, random information bits and what not. I ended up talking to her and sharing my work and ideas and discussing all sorts of things. So much I learnt from her. We have shared meals and she's helped me find a printer in the town, advised me on some shoes and I have given her random updates. We have had so many conversations over networking sites, W helped me through a lot.

Until recently, we never discussed things in German but  I started using few words and trying my German with her. She always corrects my tense, helps me get the correct word and quizzes me. I love answering them, because I know it'll only help me. But what surprised me was today, W handed me over a book from her childhood that was a nursery rhyme book filled with pictures of animals and illustrated beautifully. She also told me that it was filled with some scribbles of.

Well, I'm sure if so many people weren't around, I would have cried. I couldn't believe it. It was not about the book, but the idea and the thought of her, its difficult to explain the happiness and warmth I felt that moment. It was beautiful. I was so proud and so happy, that I flaunted the book to my German teacher and she couldn't stop smiling either. Here I was in a foreign land without too (m)any friends and no family, and one thing from a friend  made me so happy. It made me believe that its possible to feel warm when its cold, feel loved with new people and that small things can make so much of a difference. So much of a difference.


My German Best Friend. Here's to you, W.
Lots of love!

Pictures of the lovely book!





1 comment: