Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte

From the day I realised that Germany was the original birthplace of the Black Forest Cake, I was determined to find it somehow. Joining me in my quest was Rajesh. It felt like a mystery that we had to solve before we left for India.

We asked around, tried looking for it ourselves but there was no luck. I even posed a question on the class forum here, but nothing seemed to help. People mentioned a bakery, but when I looked there, it wasn't available. Someone told me that they ate it at their Grandmothers place only and not outside.

Heartbreaking. But Asja told me that I may find it in a restaurant here but it might be a little expensive. After conveying that to Rajesh, we decided to take the chance and go eat it someday. Sunday afternoon, we headed out on our quest to find the World's Most Amazing Cake and to my surprise we found the place without a huge effort. I was prepared with a chit that had the correct German name and everything, just in case we couldn't pronounce the correct name.

We found our way into the beautiful restaurant, stared at all the cakes there and tried figuring out The One, but couldnt see it. My heart was sinking. I then handed over the small chit of paper, before I could open my mouth and utter the name. The server saw the name, kept the chit down, asked me in German if I wanted the small or the big and once I answered, he nodded his head in agreement and carried on.

There it was. Ther torte. I couldnt take my eyes off it, felt like a 5 year old staring into a candy shop. He beautifully cut the cake into two halves, served it on a plate and kept it on the glass top. It was now ours. So gorgeous it was. The first bite was heaven, and the next few were even better.

I didnt want to even compare the Indian versions of this cake to what I ate but just couldn't help but do that. It was yum and so beautiful. Rajesh and I sighed, high fived over our success and finished it merrily.

Oh how wonderful that Schwarzwalder Kirschtorte was, as well as the experience. Never forgetting this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment