Tuesday, January 29, 2013

The Last Lesson

It was the last lesson today, of what we started from the beginning. German language lessons.
Till last week I used couldn't believe that this day would arrive. When it happened, it just happened and passed. I dont think I will ever forget this day.

Today of all days, the other three couldn't make it to the class and it was me alone, with Frau Kaiser and one empty room and strangely I felt very empty inside too, because it would mark the end of something that I could never ever believe.

Every week our classes started with Frau Kaiser's usual greetings and discussions about the day, the weekend and a couple of jokes here and there. Today also it was that. Nothing seemed different but it being the last time, it was. She then nicely and very cheerfully told me that I had passed the exam that we had given last week. Relieved I was. I mean, I was really worried that I wouldn't clear the exam but it seems like I did. Phew!

We began the German lesson and practised some reading, some grammar and the usual things. We even discussed last weeks question paper and what all could have been done better. She told me that I was better in an everyday class and not for a test (or atleast I think I she said that). During the course of the class, I couldnt help but drift into the past five months that I had spent with her in that same classroom, every Tuesday, studying a language that I never thought I would.

Frau Kaiser and I shared a strange bond, for over five months, I grew close to her because of her undying patience, her concern for our German learning, her understanding towards us and her plain loyalty towards everything she spoke off. We have had numerous conversations about my dog, her horse, my parents, her hobbies, almost everything under the sun.  She's almost 60 and she bikes around the city, walks as a hobby, has a pet horse and ensures that her Man cooks for her every evening. I appreciate her for the wonderful woman and teacher she is.

So finally today, when it was time to leave, in her usual tone of gratitude, she said thank you and wished me luck. She stopped at that. It usually used to be followed with a 'till the next Tuesday' or ' till next time' but this time it didn't. I couldnt help but go up to her, give her a small note that I wrote for her  and ask her for one picture with me. Since there was no one else around, we had to stick to a self-click. After 10 trials, we managed something.

She shook my hand, hugged me and said it was lovely to have been here. And I couldn't have agreed more.

To Frau Kaiser and the wonderful German lessons!
Probably what I'll miss the most about Germany, unknowningly.








No comments:

Post a Comment